Recommended dosing and dilution in adult cervical dystonia
Choose the appropriate dose in Dysport Units
Dysport is not interchangeable with other botulinum toxins, and the potency units are not the same1
- Units of biological activity of Dysport cannot be compared to, or converted into, units of any other botulinum toxin products
Clear dosing recommendations
- In adult cervical dystonia, doses up to Dysport 1,000 Units (divided among affected muscles) injected intramuscularly were systematically evaluated1
- The recommended initial dose is Dysport 500 Units given intramuscularly as a divided dose among affected muscles
- Titrate in 250-Unit steps according to patient’s response
- Select dose based on muscles affected, severity of muscle spasticity, prior response, and adverse reaction history following treatment with Dysport1
- No more than 1 mL should generally be administered at any single injection site1
- Retreatment should occur no sooner than 12 weeks after the previous injection
In CD – Common postures and muscles typically affected include*1,2:
A simplified dilution approach1
For adult cervical dystonia
- For other dilution options, refer to Table 1: Dilution Instructions for Dysport Vials (500 and 300 Units) in package insert Section 2.1: Instructions for Safe Use
Dysport 500-Unit Vial
Units per 0.1 mL
|1.0 mL||Dysport 50 Units|
|2.0 mL||Dysport 25 Units|
|2.5 mL||Dysport 20 Units|
- Using an appropriately sized sterile syringe, needle, and aseptic technique, draw up an appropriate amount of sterile, preservative-free 0.9% Sodium Chloride Injection USP for the 500-Unit vial. See table above.
For 500-Unit vials, Ipsen recommends 1.0 mL volume (50 Units per 0.1 mL).
Dysport potency units are not interchangeable with other botulinum toxin products.
3 points to keep in mind with Dysport®1
- Vacuum. When reconstituting Dysport®, insert the needle into the vial and allow the dilutent to be pulled into the vial by partial vacuum. Do not use the vial if no vacuum is observed.
- Swirl. Swirl Dysport® gently into the vial to dissolve, rather than shaking or rolling.
- Vent. When using more than 2mL of dilutent, vent the vial to release the pressure if entering the vial again to withdraw the diluted Dysport®
Reconstituted Dysport should be a clear, colorless solution, free of particulate matter; otherwise, it should not be injected. To inject, remove the needle used to reconstitute Dysport and attach an appropriately sized new sterile needle to administer the injection. Inject into target muscle(s) within 24 hours of reconstitution. Dysport should be used for only one injection session and for only one patient after reconstitution. Once reconstituted, Dysport should be stored in the original container, in a refrigerator at 2°C to 8°C (36°F to 46°F), protected from light for up to 24 hours. It must be discarded if not used within 24 hours. Do not freeze reconstituted Dysport. Discard the vial and needle in accordance with local regulations.
Dosing & Dilution Guide (Adult with Spasticity or Cervical Dystonia)
A Treatment Guide for Adult Cervical Dystonia
Copay Assistance Program Flash Card
Adult Cervical Dystonia Injection Tracker
Register for Dysport Doctor Locator when you sign up for C.L.I.M.B.® training:
The C.L.I.M.B.® program includes comprehensive Dysport injection training:
- Opportunity to be added to the Dysport Doctor Locator, where patients can easily find your practice if you are eligible*
- 1:1 in-office training
- Live group training or web conference (dosing, reconstitution, and injection simulator)
- Educational videos, brochures, and information on purchasing and reimbursement
*See eligibility criteria at www.CLIMB-training.com.